Originally Posted by KC

Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Whatever boots you get, make sure they are AT LEAST a half size or more larger than you are used to if you will be spending any time in snow conditions. Investigate vapor barriers for your feet to keep your boots dry, especially if wearing leather boots.

Consider Sorel insulated boots.

I respectfully dissagree. Sorel insulated boots are IMHO the worst kind of boots if you plan to do any hiking in the snow. They are for sitting in a stand. Get boots that fit your feet properly. Vapor barriers make my feet sweat.

KC

Am not talking about Sorel "1964"s or Sorel Caribous!

The Glacier XT, Alpha PacXT and Blizzard models are very well adapted to the altitude, cold and deep snow conditions. They run large in sizing. Obviously, one gets boots that fit their feet ***properly***. . . but, they better not be tight!

Naturally they are not my FIRST choice, unless very low temps and very deep snow depth. The Sorel Conquest boots would be my FIRST choice, bringing along expedition full welt gaiters or overboots.

But, ATTENTION OP! if your boots are not roomy enough to wiggle your toes in a little or BEING ABLE to add another layer of insulation...YOU risk frostbite and loss of toes!

While on the subject, OP, get a glove "system" of glove layering in spite of whatever your "guides" recommend backed up with waterproof, windproof outer layer, aka expedition mittens!

Vapor barriers, especially at altitude, prevent your boot from absorbing THAT sweat that you mention thereby reducing the insulation of the boot particularly with leather or contributing to trenchfoot if spending any time in the mountains with wet feet. Spend mucho, mucho time keeping your feet dry and wouldn't hurt to moisturize them when indoors.

IT IS EASIER TO CHANGE YOUR SOCKS TO MAINTAIN DRY FEET THAN IT IS TO DRY YOUR BOOTS PROPERLY ONCE THEY ABSORB MOISTURE.

I have had leather Sportivas (worn so much that I used to epoxy the outer sole to the midsole), Sportiva Barunste, military bunny boots, mickeymouse boots, hand crafted Italian climbing boots, plastic mountaineering boots and lately have settled on the Danner Mountain Assault boots for mixed snow, ice and rock. The Danners would be good, but don't think they'd be warm enough for someone not well experienced in that terrain.

Would not recommend mountaineering boots for a hunting expedition unless in steep terrain where they are best suited.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !