It has to do with the grip pull length. I can stick my finger way through the trigger guard on most factory stocks with the "standard" short vertical grip. On rifles I build with a longer open grip, my finger tip naturally lands on the trigger. The correct length of pull has more to do with how close your hand is to your face than where the trigger is. A longer open grip pull is also easier for those with smaller hands to comfortably and repeatably choke up on. The stupid short vertical factory grips are not comfortable for me to rotate my wrist to pull my finger back enough to just have the tip on the trigger. I'm not some freak of nature, just 6'2" and can just barely palm a basketball.

One year at a guild show I brought Terry's cool little Mini Mauser that was posted around here to display on my table. It had a 4" grip pull and 14" LOP. I brought the pattern stock along with my own MIniX barreled action so people could keep their paws off Terry's rifle, but get the feel of it. Lee Helgeland hung out chewing the fat with me quite a few times during the show. I'm guessing he's around 5'6" and couldn't put the pattern stock down with my barreled action in it. He kept mounting the rifle pointing it at random things around the show. He loved the fit and I later asked him what he thought the LOP was. He came back with 13 1/2". Couldn't believe it was 14"

A rifle like this would feel quite short for most people if it had a 13 1/2" pull.
[Linked Image]

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker