So I have been a hunter, pure and simple. Recently I have discovered how much I enjoy punching paper. I am planning on working over one of my rifles and have that as my paper punching gun. If it matters, caliber will be 25-06. So I am not sure what scope/magnification to go with. I like fairly high magnification, I have shot 3 power at 100 yards before. I am thinking something in the 12-16 power range. Was thinking fixed instead of variable since money is really an issue. (You remember what it was like to get married, and buy a house?) anyway, money does NOT grow on trees around here. would like to keep it under 300. Range will be from 100-500 yards. I am considering the SWFA SS 12x42. Any other brand with good fixed power scopes that I should be considering? I want to learn how to dial my scope for particular ranges, so reliability in that department would sure help. Also warranty is a pretty big deal to me, and for that reason I am thinking Nikon is off the table.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.