Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Rossimp
“Minimal freebore”? Why bother with 270 Wby. It’s true colors and speed are based on generous freebore (like all Wby chambers) and ammo that is high pressure based on generous freebore. Changing those specs makes it only a hand loader at lower pressures. That’s what Wby is famous for, high pressure and enough freebore to use it. Nothing against it or the 264 WM in the field, but neither can outperform a 7mm Rem Mag down range and the 7mm can do it with 2-inches less barrel. Plus 7mm ammo can be found anywhere on the planet and hand load recipes and bullets abound beyond anything the other two offer. I suppose if it’s a choice between those two, 6.5mm is now the cats meow. If I chose a 270 Wby I would want the stock chamber, wouldn’t want someone loading Wby ammo in one that is not unless you want big problems. Only my opinion.

What does enough freebore to use high pressure mean?

It is said that the freebore is how Weatherby's reach the higher velocities than the standard caliber counter parts. It is also said that most bullets are not long enough the reach the lands in weatherby chamberings, it also stated that if you were to remove the freebore then the pressures could or would increase to unsafe levels. Just my understanding of what I have read, in no way am I am expert. The actions are supposedly built to withstand the higher pressures than what the factory ammo is loaded at, but I am not sure that those specifications have ever been released.