260Remguy: Nor have I tried the 15.5 grain bullets - my four 17 Mach2's all shoot QUITE well with the Hornady 17 grain V-Max's.
I have posted this before on this forum but its worthy I think in this regard.
My close friend (retired Viet nam era Army Intelligence officer and retired gunsmith) bought a CZ heavy barrel wood stocked Rifle in 17 Mach2 several years ago now.
He mounted a 4x12 variable scope on it and started using it to Hunt Ground Squirrels with.
He found a mail order deal on 10,000 rounds of Eley ammunition for just over $3.00 a box - shipped!
He had to resight in his Rifle with the new ammo and I happened to be along at the range with him that day.
He shot a five shot group there at 100 yards with the Eley ammunition that measured right at .250"!
The stars were aligned that day (and there was NO wind!) but his Rifle remains sublimely accurate with that ammo to this day.
He is about out of the Eley stuff and I call him from gunshows on the rare occasions I see the 17 Mach2 Eley ammo for sale but it is almost always $10.00+ a box.
He is ruefully awaiting the day he runs out of the Eley.
But again my heavy barrel high dollar Kimber SVT in 17 Mach2 preferred the Hornady.
I do NOT know who makes the Eley ammunition but I do know it uses different powder than the Hornady ammo.
So maybe my Kimber is the only "preferrer" of Hornady ammo? That is NOT suprising to me at all - I have been watching and comparing Rifles accuracy for way more than 50 years now - the hard and fast rule is there are NO hard and fast rules.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I am so happy/thankful that the 17 Mach2 ammo "shortage"/stoppage of production is over.
I have not tried the Eley in my heavy barrel Anschutz Model 1502 - I have so little of the Eley left it would be futile to test I guess anyway.