Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Amazing. A bullet designed for longer-range hunting apparently works well at longer ranges, but occasionally doesn't when pushed fast at closer ranges.

One not-so-odd thing I've noticed over the past several years is how many hunters apparently still believe any "long range bullet" requires high muzzle velocity, even if they plan to use it at closer ranges. Then they bitch when the bullet doesn't perform like they think it should.

The problem is they don’t advertise it as a long range only bullet. They advertise it as an all range bullet. Per Hornady....

DEVASTATING CONVENTIONAL RANGE PERFORMANCE

With high velocity 0-400 yard impact, the bullet continually expands throughout its penetration path. The thick shank of the jacket and high InterLock® ring keep the core and jacket together providing 50-60% weight retention.

Most pictures I see the jacket and core are not kept together. They shoot good for me but It’s not hard to second guess hunting with them with an almost 50/50 consensus of good to poor reports. I’ve seen guys reporting as little as 30% weigh retention on empty jackets.