Originally Posted by Infidel
I have an 85 in .260, a 75 in 7mm-08 and a 75 Single-Shot in .308, and had (past tense) another 75 in .308. Also a couple of p94S Finnfire .22s. I love them all, and except for JM Marlins, they're the only brand of rifles that I would spend my own money on. I sold the previous 75 .308 not for disliking it, but along with a bunch of other rifles while raising money for the down payment on a house. The .260 and 7mm-08 are set up for Hunter class and Standard Rifle Silhouette, and they shoot splendidly. The .22s are for Smallbore Silhouette.

Friends have had, and I have tried, older Sakos, like Finnbears, with the Mauser style actions, and they were great rifles, but I prefer the three-lug bolt on the 75/85.

There are some differences in stock shape and dimensions amongst the different models. For me, the Sako 75 Hunter stock is the best fitting factory stock that I have ever felt. My 85 feels good, but it has a slimmer feel, with a more open grip. It's like dancing with a slim athletic girl while the 75 is like dancing with a softer, more fully developed one.

They are all sorta heavy,-- heavier than the factory specs call for. For a 75/85 count on 7 1/4 pounds. More for the Varmint or laminated models, maybe less for the synthetic stocks (don't have one to weigh).

If you go for a Sako in .260, beware the pre-85 models, which all had a 1-9" twist rate. They changed to 1-8" twist in the 85. However the factory specs page on their "discontinued models" Web site now says 8" for the 75. It lies. It only matters if you want to shoot the heavier bullets.

Most production Sako rifles have "meh" wood,-- good, strong, but not beautiful. Some of them come through with great wood, it's just a matter of chance.

I fully agree that they are the best factory production rifle available.

+1 million, I have tried older Sakos, have never had an 85 but have had the most success with 75's both Stoeger and Beretta import.