Last March at the Bozeman, Montana gunshow I ran across a new in the box, unfired, Ruger American Varmint in 22 L.R
This is the heavy blued steel model with laminated gray stock.
The fella that bought it had purchased it for a grandson - and that did not go over well it seems. So I took advantage of the great cash price he offered and no paperwork.
I have been double busy this year and did not get it scoped up and to the range til a dead calm day late last week.
I scoped this Rifle earlier last week with an under-powered (in my mind) Leupold 2x7 variable rimfire model.
I used the rather pricey Burris insert rings ($46.00!) on this rig!
Anyway off to my friends private range I go on the next windless day.
I took five brands/styles of hollowpoint Hunting type ammo to test along with me.
I was hoping the Rifle would like the Federal 36 grain bulk pack hollowpoint ammunition that I have a lifetime supply of - it DID NOT!
The first three five shot groups at 50 yards I made with this ammunition measured 1.25" to 1.50" there at 50 yards.
I was beginning to worry - this was not pleasing performance to me at all - and not up to the norm I have had with other Rifles and this ammunition.
The trigger on this Ruger American Varmint is excellent as it came from the factory and I wanted to use this affordable and lethal Federal ammo on small game and Varmints come next year - small disappointment.
I decided to try my next most favored ammunition (for small game and Varmints) next - which was the Winchester 40 grain Power-Points that speed out at 1,280 F.P.S..
This ammo is much more expensive than the Federal stuff and I only use it in my higher dollar heavy barrel rimfire Varminters and a couple of heavy barrel pistols.
I shot a few rounds at rocks to "foul" (settle down - season) the barrel for this particular ammo, then shot my first group with it. That group (5 shots at 50 yards) measured .482" - and to tell the truth that is about as well as I can "hold" with a 7 power scope anymore.
I tried two more 5 shot groups and was very pleased with those groups as well as they were just at and just under .500"!
Last thing I did was adjust the point of impact to be exact with point of aim there at 50 yards.
I then obliterated the 1/4" blaze orange aiming dot, with 4 shots, and called that "good enough".
I was so pleased with the Winchester 40 grain Power-Points and the trigger, handling, function (flawless feeding, extracting and ejecting) of this Rifle that I decided to not even test the other 3 types of hollow-point ammunition I had brought along.
I took the Rifle home and wiped her down, fully not expecting to shoot it til next spring, but what pops up later that afternoon but a flying black and white nest robbing Varmint in my yard! The Ruger American made "short work" of that pest at 40 yards or so!
The current "store price" I see for these heavy barrel Varmint model Ruger Americans is right at $400.00 and I consider that a bargain for what you get - in today's marketplace!
I could find NO flaw in function, feel, appearance or the accuracy of this nifty little Rifle.
This model has the threaded shorter (stubby) 18" barrel and from using it's big brother (in 17 HMR) for the last two years I know this rig will be handy to use and works well on those occasion's I will be shooting from the cab of the VarmintMobile.
It almost goes without saying that Rugers ten shot flush fitting rotary magazine that comes with this Rifle is the best rimfire magazine system in existence!
For anyone looking for an accurate handy handsome and having a great trigger Rifle in 22 L.R. I highly recommend the Ruger American Rimfire Varmint.
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy