Originally Posted by gmsemel
Just enough Time in time to be PIC under the regulations, where their problem was is that the put a low time in type captain with a low time FO. They say there is a pilot shortage and yeah maybe there is, all of the Regionals are having this problem, Downwind landing, that not ideal, I was not there so I will not make an opinion. I would look at the Crew Scheduler my main question why did you crew an airplane with fairly low time in type Capt with very low time and experienced FO? That Captian should have been teamed with an FO that is about to make Captain that has a 1000 or two hours in type. I don't know what their crew roster looks like, so I can't say one way or the other, other than what I would do if I was assigning crews to an aircraft. I have been flying professionally since 1976, I am at a point that I will be pretty much retired soon.

Was the pilot used to the STOL performance of the Dash 8? 20K hours is not insignificant. I'd think it would have been enough to overcome the lack of hours in type...