wabigoon;
Good evening to you my friend, I hope the first Sunday in the last month of the year was a good one and finds you and your fine family well.

Indeed Moby/Patrick is a gentleman of the finest order and we've shaken hands and shared a cold beverage a time or two for sure. I believe we must have met close to a decade back now, but hopefully he'll know that date for certain.

Geographically, he's just behind the notch in the mountain - behind the big cliff on the right - in the top photo.

The cliff is known as McIntyre Bluff, where as legend has it, one group of First Nations folks drove another group of less than welcome First Nations folks over the edge.....

It was a territorial dispute of some importance - as in the buffalo grounds on the prairies, good fishing spots meant survival here in southern BC and were hotly contested.

Before it was dammed off to control flooding further downstream in the US, the water fall at Okanagan Falls was one such place where if you and your family group held it, you would be assured of enough food for the winter. If not, well then maybe one starved.

Such was life before the white fur traders came and traded firearms to some of the locals, enabling them to hold the falls and maintain both a livelihood as well as future bargaining rights with the fur trader's descendants.

Speaking of fur traders, the fur used to move through the Interior here on horse pack trains, some of them up to 300 plus horses. As a stock man, I know your mind reels too when thinking about supplying nightly grazing for 300 tired head of pack horses - much less unloading them all. Then of course there's the morning chores of wrangling the herd and throwing 300 diamond hitches....

All on the road down to the Hudson's Bay Company fort at the mouth of the Columbia - Fort Vancouver I believe it would have been.

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/hudson_s_bay_company/#.XeR0-ZNKiUk

When the US and Britain began to settle on the 49th parallel as a dividing line, the good folks down there - mostly Scotsmen I'd think - made their way north. One of which was my buddy's grandfather, who settled up here doing some gold mining first and then going into farming/ranching.

Anyway although it's comparatively recent history, it's the history of the area Moby and I call home.

All the best to you folks as we head into winter wabigoon.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/01/19.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"