Originally Posted by bobmn
OSU: It appears to me you are describing an English Rook Rifle. English gentry used them for strolling about the country estate shooting hares, crows and assorted varmints. After reading Ross Seyfried's article about rook rifles he once again convinced me of another firearm I just had to have. Since I do not have a country estate, am not gentry and do not have the deep pockets that Mr. Seyfried has a suitable substitute had to be found. I settled on a Contender carbine barrel in 357 mag. On the advice of C. E. Harris I used a Manson 1 1/2 degree throating reamer for accuracy. Mostly I shoot 148 grain hollow base wad cutters at 38 Special velocities in a 357 mag case for small game but I have available full power 357 mag loads if required. The 24" barrel and cat sneeze loads are quiet without the hassle of a suppressor. A 327 Federal Mag as previously suggested would be even closer to the original Rook Rifle caliber but i was all ready handloading the 38/357 cases.

Bob, I had not even given any thought of a Rook rifle and thank you for bringing it up. I do like the idea of a 327 Federal Mag in a carbine. At what distance are you comfortable with your 357 Mag?

Originally Posted by mjbgalt
6x45

That is a very good idea and one I had not thought of. You like this in lieu of the 6.5 Grendel?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.