Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Guys,
I have a nice G2 Contender carbine with a High Plains laminate stock that is just begging to have a new MGM barrel mounted. I am still unsettled on what specific caliber and cartridge to get for it.

Possible winners include, but are not limited to, the following: 17 Fireball, 5.7x28, 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, and some really odd ones, like 25-20, 327 Federal and 45 Colt.

What have I left out and is there a voice of experience out there who can chime in with some pearls of wisdom?

Many thanks.

Sig

Good choices on your list. My first TC carbine was a .17 Remington and though it fouled badly, it shot very well up to the point where fouling took over. A good quality .17 Fireball barrel has much appeal. If you were going handgun rather than carbine, I'd suggest the .221 fireball over .223 and .222 which are viciously loud in a 14" barrel. I had a 16-1/4" barrel chambered for .32 H&R mag. It was good. It killed crap .. saved one varmint safari when a bolt action broke down on me. .327 would be real interesting. .25-20 is one of my favorite cartridges. Due to a deal that fell through I don't have a gun but I have a pile of components. I'm pondering a 10" pistol barrel for my Contender.

Couple others?

I'd look at the .357 Maximum. I've had it in both 14" handgun and 18" carbine barrels. Both did very well with a case full (31 grains, I think?) of H110 and 88 or 90 grain .355 bullets for the .380 ACP. Pretty well wrecked ground squirrels' days. I also got very good accuracy with the Speer 180 grain flat point and Hornady 180 grain single shot pistol bullets with AA 1680. I have a small batch of 180 grain handgun partitions left which I'd love to try in the maxi on deer. I think I saw Starline offering brass.

For deer, I'd look at .30-30 AI and .38-55. I haven't shot either in the carbine, might be getting into a little recoil. .25-35 reg'lar or AI could be good if you've got appropriate bullets. I think hornady discontinued the 117 grain round nose and I can't think of a replacement that'd work at the .25-35's speed. .30-30 reg'lar or AI could be fun. I've swaged a few 100 grain .312 XTPs down to .308 with a cheap Lee lube/size die. Speer's 110 grain flat HP could be good, too. Deer ... 125 grain b-tip or accubond. I've got a 14" TC .30-30 barrel still NIB that I really need to play with.

Of all, I think I'd favor the .357 maximum with .17 fireball second.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...