Dgr416: I own several Nikon scopes myself and am perplexed by this news (that I have been hearing for several weeks now!).
I have NEVER purchased a "new" Nikon scope, the ones I own were all bought second hand and at give away prices only.
Among the Nikon Rifle scopes I own are four Nikon Monarch 6.5x20's - I also own some Nikon 4.5x14 and 5.5x16.5 variables. I have had good luck with all of them but never use (trust) them in harsh weather Hunting conditions.
For these type Hunting applications I only use (trust) Leupold scopes.
I also own three or four pair of Nikon binoculars and have given several Nikon binoculars as gifts to young relatives.
I wonder if Nikon will be making spotting scopes and binoculars anymore?
I hate to see Nikon diminishing itself in the way it appears they are.
The VAST majority of Rifle scopes I own are made by the fine American company Leupold & Stevens!
Speaking of warranty by recently folded "scope companies" - my Varminting friend had a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) fail this summer while we were Hunting. Bushnell is supposed to be "warranty'ing" Weaver scopes so he sent it to them to repair a broken vertical crosshair. They called him back and relayed they could no longer repair Weaver scopes and they would send him a comparable Bushnell (4 to 12 variable) which they did.
I hope none of your many Monarchs need repair - and I am not sure whether or not Nikon will continue warranty service?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy