Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dgr416: I own several Nikon scopes myself and am perplexed by this news (that I have been hearing for several weeks now!).
I have NEVER purchased a "new" Nikon scope, the ones I own were all bought second hand and at give away prices only.

Among the Nikon Rifle scopes I own are four Nikon Monarch 6.5x20's - I also own some Nikon 4.5x14 and 5.5x16.5 variables. I have had good luck with all of them but never use (trust) them in harsh weather Hunting conditions.
For these type Hunting applications I only use (trust) Leupold scopes.
I also own three or four pair of Nikon binoculars and have given several Nikon binoculars as gifts to young relatives.
I wonder if Nikon will be making spotting scopes and binoculars anymore?
I hate to see Nikon diminishing itself in the way it appears they are.
The VAST majority of Rifle scopes I own are made by the fine American company Leupold & Stevens!
Speaking of warranty by recently folded "scope companies" - my Varminting friend had a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) fail this summer while we were Hunting. Bushnell is supposed to be "warranty'ing" Weaver scopes so he sent it to them to repair a broken vertical crosshair. They called him back and relayed they could no longer repair Weaver scopes and they would send him a comparable Bushnell (4 to 12 variable) which they did.
I hope none of your many Monarchs need repair - and I am not sure whether or not Nikon will continue warranty service?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yeah, that is perplexing. Companies depend on second hand, rock bottom purchasing to keep them going.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'