Originally Posted by irfubar
I guess the question is what short actions does the 6.5 prc fit? my Savages have a 3' mag box but I cannot get a magnum bolt head for the short action.

Montana Rifle co. has a 3"+ mag box. Not sure on the Ruger? I believe Winchester SA has a 3" magbox

I am not familiar with the AI magbox, is that factory? does it fit a Rem SA if so do you have to machine the action?

It does fit R700 SA's with the proper DBM, and there is no altering of the action itself.

For those that don't like a mag that goes down to the level of the trigger guard, Curtis Customs manufactures a high quality detachable mag that is flush with the stock.

Only my opinion, but I won't hunt with a rifle without a DBM system. They have been 100% reliable for cycling. Never had a snafu with them....and never had one fall out.

Just talked to George Gardner(who helped with the development of the PRC), he said at this time the 6.5 PRC is # 4 in factory ammo leaving the plant, #1 is the 6.5 Creedmoor, then the 6MM Creedmoor, then .308, with the 6.5 PRC at #4.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]