Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by 1minute
Once in while, one simply strikes out. Bagged an Idaho deer once that was horrid table fare. I don't know why, as it was well cared for. Had a different texture and an accompanying bad aroma. Neighbor's dogs really liked it though.

I've also had a few instances where I was concerned about hang time and warm temps and ended up with great cuts.

Rarely bone in the field as most of our trips are of an extended nature. I experience a lot of trim loss with that much surface area exposed for long durations. Interstate travels, however, almost always mandate removal of the spine and brains before coming home.

In my experience, it's a case of garbage in = garbage out. No sure fire cures for the sow's ear.

Diet makes a difference. Quite a few years ago, my BIL and I got 2 does in a late season hunt NE of Boise. It was close to 0 and we did it all right in caring for the meat. I don't know what they'd been eating but the meat on both was rank, totally inedible. The smell when cooking would permeate the kitchen. Even the dogs wouldn't eat it - literally. We ended up throwing both deer out. There was some plant up there that they'd been feeding on that was pretty strong.

Had the same experience years ago with a pair of blacktail. Wife would mix 1/4 pound venison with beef burger for meat loaf.
I could smell it 100 yards away in the shop.
Have one away to a kid with no ability to taste, tossed the other to the coyotes. They wouldn't eat it.
The deer were eating creosote brush during a 10 year drought.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~