One memorable fishing trip was taking two boats to Tortuga island from San Carlos Mexico in the early 1980s. It is 60 miles due West in the sea of Cortez. The mainland disappeared and the baja began to rise on the western horizon. When we got to Tortuga the Baja was 25 miles away.

The boats were my 19 ft center console and friend's 28 ft cabin cruiser. When we got to the island there were patches of seaweed on the surface. I put out two skirted lures and trolled them at a brisk rate to keep them skittering on top. The first dorado I had ever caught made a pressure hump on the surface as he roared in from the side to hit the lure. The 30 lb line burned off the reel. I was alone in the boat and it was quite a battle. It took some effort to gaff him and get him into the boat. He was 4 ft long! I continued to troll and caught two more. One of the teenagers from the larger boat joined me. We caught a total of 9 dorados that day. All were 3 1/2 ft to 4 ft long.

We left early in the morning and returned at sunset. When I left the boat to walk on the dock it felt like it was moving! Apparently being in a rocking boat that long made the stationary land feel strange. That was the only time I experienced it.

I would't consider going into Mexico these days so it will remain one of the most memorable fishing trips with no chance of a repeat.

Last edited by Azshooter; 12/05/19.