Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by 79S
If this is for that sheep hunt I use that 300 RUM you got.. my sheep hunt last year not once did I say man I wish my rifle was lighter. I was saying damn wish my old fat ass would of lost 25 more lbs..

That it is.

Funny, I weighed the 300 RUM action last night with PT&G LW bottom metal, and Talley LW. Came in at about 5lbs 6oz

An edge (doable on the RUM?) would add about 1lb 10oz, so we are at 7lbs roughly.

Would scope with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44, another 15 oz, so 8 lbs all up, assuming the edge would work.

A Brown poundr (again, doable?) would subtract about 8oz from the total.

I would tote 8lbs, but perhaps a Kimber Montana in .30-06 would be a better all around choice?

I'd go with a little lighter barrel next time around on my 7. Did the 2 this time and something along the lines of a 1.5/1.75's sorta contour would shave just enough weight to get me closer to a flat 8.

I don't think I'd do an EDGE fill on a RUM. EDGE shell like the Legend with Standard fill would probably be safer and a more predictable stock. Don't know though, just going off what Darcy mentioned to me about the bigger jugged magnums.

Sounds like a slick build though, I'll be watching to see what you do and how it comes out. I think an 8lb flat, all up 300 magnum is a good rifle that'll serve most hunters real well.

Semper Fi