I've always wanted a model 39 for no particular reason other than I liked the gun. I've never been able to find one in the condition I wanted for a price I was willing to pay. Finally I got a great deal on a Model 39D. The serial # prefix is "71" which I learned is the year it was made. A google search revealed that this model was only made for a few years starting in 1971. I do have a couple of questions which I'm hoping more knowledgeable folks on the "fire" can answer for me.

1. Although the barrel is stamped with the Marlin name and North Haven. Conn. ( see picture) there is no JM stamp on the barrel in front of the receiver. There is a hammer stud that is stamped "JM". Is this normal?

2. The receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope mount but the middle screw appears to be slightly larger in size from the other two. Again, is this normal?

I doubt if I'll use this rifle for anything but plinking but it sure feels great to scratch the itch I've had for one of these guns. Enjoy the pictures and thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Labman95; 12/05/19.