Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500
I see that all circus hobbits should be forever castrated for hiring gunsmiths to cut the buttstocks off pre-64 Winchester model 70's.

The only good that comes of cutting off the butts of a pre 64 model 70 stock is you can use and enjoy them without worry of messing up said stock. Take the all original off and hunt with the one with a recoil pad added. You can find the ones that have been cut for good deals on ebay sometimes. I actually don't mind shooting them at the range with a newer recoil pad either. You can also glass bed those stocks without fear of reducing its collector value. So there are some positives to those gunsmiths cutting a butt down, as long as they don't cut it too short!!!! Here's one I put a recoil pad on recently. You guys have seen this rifle before. 30-06 featherweight I paid $475.00 for locally...:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This rifle is a little sweeter to shoot off the bench now.

Here it is in an all original stock:
It would be sacrilege if someone cut a stock like this one down. In full agreement with you there buddy...

You bet BSA, I fully understand the use and good price of them, but, when someone cuts a butt, I have a bad habit of thinking McMillan and Cerakote! shocked laugh

Oh, I see now. Ha ha.. You left out re-bore in your sentence though. That's always a good option too. Especially when it's not really that expensive to send it down here and have it done... grin

I usually don't really think cerakote unless the finish sucks. Or like in my 338wm case, half was stainless, some was blued and some was aluminum:

I just wanted everything to be the same color!!!!! But I do love how the midnight blue cerakote turned out. My local guy is awesome...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA