Originally Posted by viking
I am looking at getting one of those or a 260. A rifle just for long range steel or target shooting out to 100yards.

I just ordered a SWFA 10x MIL and it will go on a Savage tactical or Tikka CTR. I just can’t decide on the chambering.

Thoughts and advice, thanks

Honestly Viking, I'm not going to bad mouth savage because they make damn accurate rifles. I have a lot of respect for them. I've had my azz handed to me in competition by guys shooting savage rifles. They are nothing to sneeze at or underestimate. As for your question, I'd look for a 6.5 creedmoor, if the 260 you are looking at is "875", you can buy a 24" CTR for around $900.00 and cheaper if you look hard enough. LIke I said earlier, I have 2. I bougth one brand new for $900.00 and the other at a steal for $675.00. I couldn't pass it up at that price, however it needed a little work to get it in the same league as my first one. The recoil lug was loose and it needed some glass bedding, so it was more of a time and attention to detail thing rather than throwing money at it thing, since I do all my own work, it was easy and well worth what I paid for it. Like I said, it doesn't shoot as good as my #1 CTR, but here's how it shot the last time out:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My CTR #1 will shoot perfect scores all day long:

I would opt for the 6.5 cm and not even think about the 260. You'll have a better opportunity to find better factory ammunition for the creed vs. the 260 and the creed was made to shoot. Its whole intent and purpose, from its designers, was for long range competition. All of my creedmoors shoot awesome at 100 yards. Easily sub moa 10 shot groups. I've entered all of them in the moa all day long challenge here, and they have all demonstrated sub moa in rifles ranging from my ar10 to the tikka CTR, A cheap azzed savage 12fv, and my Tikka superlite, oh yeah and even my SAKO A7 longrange 6.5 cm. They all shoot lights out:

But what I was getting at is, what is even more impressive than the 100 yard targets, is the longrange targets shot with the cm. and all this can be done with off the shelf factory ammo. There's a huge selection of good match grade ammo out there for the 6.5 cm right now. I'd be taking advantage of that if I were you...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA