Originally Posted by viking
I am looking at getting one of those or a 260. A rifle just for long range steel or target shooting out to 100yards.

I just ordered a SWFA 10x MIL and it will go on a Savage tactical or Tikka CTR. I just can’t decide on the chambering.

Thoughts and advice, thanks

A year ago, for the same purpose, shooting targets out to 1,000 yards, I picked up a new 6mm Creed in the Ruger Precision Rifle. Couldn't turn it down for $749. Popped an unemployed Vortex scope on it.

With factory Hornady 108's or my handloads with the same bullet, it shoots great!

Big Ugly ol' truck axle of a rifle, but it shoots well. The cartridge is a peach. I think a 6.5 Creed would do as well, but the 6 was avail at the deeply discounted price. That was good enough for me! smile

I've done quite a bit of long range shooting over the years, NRA "High Master" and all that, and the 6mm Creed makes it easy. Crosshairs don't come off the target. Can spot my own hits on steel. Easy to load - just run it through my Hornady dies with no special attention. I think I'd have been equally pleased with the 6.5 version, but the 6 landed here.

Regards, Guy