Originally Posted by 458Win
I guess I do have to plead guilty but, in my defense, I also plan on using it with full power loads as well. The rifle is also one that my son has plans for as he also inherited a full dose of the rifle loony gene. He is a diehard 35 Whelen fan and calls the 9.3x62's "euro-trash"

Nailed it!
The older I get, the more convinced I become that a rifles job is to put decent bullet in just the right spot. The Whelen is one of the calibers that bring together a very nice combination of devastating impact on game while keeping recoil at a manageable level encouraging very good hunting accuracy.
Been using the Whelen for 30 years, my go to load is 250 gr Partitions at a hair under 2500 fps, tho I used a bunch of Hornadys back before SPS came on the scene. I have trialed an used a bunch of powders, hard to find one the Whelen did not like.
Have had a S African visiting the last 2 whitetail seasons here in western NYS. He used my Whelen. Took five shots. Buck and a doe each season, plus a fox. Zero trailing on any of them, which mirror most of my experience.
My 2 cents says that the Whelen delivers a terrific amount of performance in a package that most of us mortal humans can easily live with.
Don't need no stinking euro trash!

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.