I have been a 35 Whelen fan for some time. I've taken a number of African plainsgame plus Leopard, Elk & Moose with my Whelen. I have many 35 Whelens (10-20 last count), but I hunt NA mainly with my Ruger Hawkeye SS/syn, 1-12 twist. I only use Nosler Custom ammo 250gr. NP, except for the big Shiras Moose I took last Oct., which I used a 280 gr. SAF. The Moose took four steps after bullet impact and feel over dead. The Elk have dropped where they stood, except for one that ran in a semi circle for about 2-3 seconds and then piled up. That was my first Elk many years ago and I was using a Remington Classic, which I later sold, with 250 gr. Rem. Core Lokts.

In Africa, I have used my Dakota Classic Deluxe for the PG and my Leopard. I have used only the 250 NP on these animals, but I carry 250 gr. solids as well over there, plus a few 310 gr. rounds in case I feel the need.

I probably like the 35 Whelen more than my other medium bores, but I also like the 9.3x62 very much also and have only taken African game with it. A great round. I have recently had a 9.3x66 made for me on the CZ 550 standard by Wayne at AHR. He did his #3 option with gorgeous wood. I want to take it to Africa soon. Federal makes a lot of very good ammo in this caliber with NP, SAF, TSX, Woodleigh Hydros and BBS. A bullet for any occasion. I bought a truck load of this ammo with all of the above rounds, on a fire sale for about $35/box. Stocked for life! As much as I love my Whelen, I think this round is probably a better one; 286 gr. @ 2,550 fps. My Whelen runs a 280 SAF @ 2,300 fps., but my Moose didn't need any more. It's all good!