Take Krugerrands from Seattle to Vancouver BC airport, fly to Costa Rica.

I worked with Vietnamese boat people doing electronics design.

They got from being wealthy in Vietnam when it fell, to robbed of their Gold by pirates, to a refugee camp in the Pacific. When the got to the USA one guy I worked with learned English, learned electronics, and was working with me as one of my technicians in two years. He went to night school and got a masters degree in electrical engineering and became my peer. After a couple years of that he was too rich to work as engineer any longer, as the money he sent to his parents in Texas had done well as an investment.

5 years from no English, no money, to too rich to be an engineer.

At the same time I knew a guy whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower, his father was a PhD, he was a degreed engineer working for me as a technician, and he was always broke. He has no end of buried weapons and spider holes. His vehicle was a 4 wheel drive truck with no reflective surfaces.

Who was the real survivalist?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps