ClarkM: Pardon my slow reply I have been chasin guns and sighting in guns (NO wind!) here the last couple of days.
I am sure there are many ways "I" or anyone else could have invested their monies and would have done better (percentage of return wise) than investing in "guns"!
MANY years ago I arrested and put in irons "the richest man in the world" at the time (and he still would be if he had not given so much of his incredible fortune away!) and towed his hot rod boat along with him and his girlfriend to the harbor police station.
While we were waiting for his minions to bring his identification, his boats identification and a boat trailer to the harbor station - we talked.
I eventually asked him if it would be wise to buy stock in his company at THAT time - as his stock had EXPLODED so far to date.
He modestly replied "I would not put ALL my (my as in VarmintGuy) money in his stock"!
So I didn't!
If I had, I would now be worth $10,000,000.00 (ten million dollars!) more than I'm worth today - $1,000,000.00 (one million dollars!)!
So be that - I just enjoy investing in guns and on occasion selling them for a profit so's I can buy MORE guns!
By the way I (we) arrested the same said multi-billionaire, the very next year for the very same thing and towed him and his new hotrod boat and his new girlfriend to the same harbor station!
Guy was a speed demon - I am happy he settled down before he hurt someone or himself!
I think I'll keep gamblin on guns - it's fun!
By the way I very much enjoyed your story about the "boat guy" turned American success story.
I had MANY occasions to interact with "boat people" during my professional career and indeed they were THE most industrious group of people I have ever encountered (Jews being a close second!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy