Originally Posted by MOGC
I think I recall reading that Phil's daughter carries a .357 with 180 gr. hardcast for bear protection.

Interesting. For about twenty years my do-everything woods gun was a 3” Mod 60, first in .38 Special then upgraded to .357 when it came out. Then maybe ten years back I was in a 3 minute standoff with a 300+lb feral boar hog, it eventually gave ground but while it was thinking about what it was gonna do that Mod 60 in my hand with those 5 180grain Hardcasts just seemed to shrink. Rapid-fire with that heavy load in that little revolver just weren’t my forte. Dunno what the ballistics were out of a 3” barrel were either, tho bang and flash sure were loud.

Carried a Glock 29 after that but 10mm ammo was so hard to find, after Mr Shoemaker dropped that griz with a 9mm I figured 15-1 easy to shoot rapid-fire 147gr Hardcasts from a Glock 19 ought work on anything I’d encounter.

Now my son has the 19, my current woods gun is a 9+1 9mm Springfield Armory XDs. I’d still take it over that Mod 60, much as I still admire that versatile little revolver.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744