Or you could go BALLS OUT and Run with 170 Grains of Swiss 3F pushing a 540 Grain Minie Ball Such as i just recently did 🙂

This should NEVER BE ATTEMPTED with ANY Regular 58 Cal Rifle!! This is a VERY DIFFERENT .58 Cal Rifle, This one was Proofed with 200 Grains of 3F Powder With a 610 Grain Minie 🙂 These Navy Arms “Hawken Hunters” are EXTREMELY HEAVY Built Guns, 1-1/8” Across the Flats, Solid Brass under Rib, And Solid Stainless Ramrod. Can you read about this Rifle in the 1975 Lyman Blackpowder Handbook, Where Navy Arms Owner Val Forgett SR Took all BIG Creatures in Africa with one of these. The Load he settled on was 180 Grains of 3F Powder, and a 610 Grain Minie called a “Stake/Steak Buster”

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

To start out with i had planned to Test 180 Grains, But since I’m using Swiss which is Noticeably Hotter than Goex (Likely what Val Forgett used) I ended up Settling on 170 Grains. The Rifle took it with EASE, and would do so DAY IN, AND DAY OUT if one Chose to Do this

Last edited by Idaholewis; 12/11/19.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown