Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Girlhunter

So a 40gr Vmax is a better at punching through car doors than say a 75gr TSX?

I see your attempt at derailing the thread, but the fact is - yes that is correct, other than the fact there is no .223 75gr TSX to compare with your 40gr Vmax. Assuming you mean the 70gr TSX though - yes, a 40gr at higher velocity will punch through thicker steel (or aluminum) plate than a slower 70-75gr bullet. That is the opposite of what they do in meat where the heavier bullet usually can penetrate better.

I want to follow up to this post again with some photo evidence, although I've posted the picture here in other threads already. This is a 32gr 20 Tactical @ 3900 fps on top vs a 75gr 5.56 @ 2650 fps on the bottom. (The 20 Tactical is basically just the 223 case necked down to 20.) 5/16" high strength steel plate. That 75gr 223 definitely penetrates better in soft tissue, but the roles are reversed on hard surfaces like steel. With that said - penetration of multiple layers is different, but in the case of light/fast 9mm vs heavy/slow 9mm the light/fast loads usually still do better.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Spot on, speed penetrates steel better than slower

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first