Originally Posted by GunLoony88
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Two comments:

First the SKS's and AK-47 locking systems depend very much on rounds developing approximately the same pressure. If they don't, then the rifle won't function correctly. This is generally true of semiauto and full-auto rifle actions, and since pressure often varies both due to amibient temperature AND a heated-up barrel, it's better to have a lower pressure standard to insure correct function.

One general rule of internal ballistics is that muzzle velocity increases only about half as much as pressure, though that depends to a certain extent on whether the powder is single- based or double-based. As a result, increasing the pressure from 50,000 PSI to 60,000 won't generate a proportional increase in velocity.

Thanks JB - I'm using CFE BLK, which is a spherical powder, which I'm assuming is double-based. Not looking to really hot-rod too much, just would like to get a 150gr bullet to around 2300 - 2400 fps.

I'm using 24.5gr behind a 150gr Sierra FP, and I'm getting about 2000 fps out of the short 16 inch barrel.

I have a Davidson's limited run Ruger 77 MK II stainless 7.62x39 that I bought new in about 1992. I use it now as a cast bullet rifle, but over the years I've tried many jacketed bullets in it. The rifle has a 22" barrel. While I haven't loaded any jacketed bullets recently, my notes indicate a muzzle velocity of just under 2300 fps with a Hornady 150 grain round nose .30-30 bullet using a maximum load of H322. Some of the newer powders might safely beat that velocity, but probably not by much.