A topic near and not so dear to my heart. Sitting at a light with my brother and his wife we out riding 2 years ago. He was in the lane next to us, all I saw was movement coming over my shoulder.
They were hit at 35 MPH we learned later. The bumper of the car matched up to the rear tire of his bike perfectly. Shot the bike out from under them and they and the tourpack hit the hood of the car.
Sister in law died instantly (her neck was broken), my brother both hips, and tail bone shattered along with multiple internal injuries. He spent 19 days in the ICU unit.
He had gone through 7 different surgeries, was still having a rough time, doing anything related to everyday life. They went to do one more surgery he did not come out the other side, died in the OR. Buried him this spring.
That accident is one of the many they used for their case for hand free here. There were so many cases introduced as evidence it was just stunning.
When someone is texting they are not focused on driving PERIOD THE END OF STORY.