The movie is basically fiction, I'm disappointed in Clint. I don't live in Atlanta, but close enough to get all of my news from there. Jewell was the initial primary suspect for good reason. His behavior prior to, and right after the incident screamed that he may have done it. The FBI was right to investigate him. For the 1st few days there was a lot of media coverage, but within a week pretty much everyone figured out they were looking at the wrong guy and he was cleared within a relatively short time (about 3 months). But long before that the focus had shifted away from Jewell.

It is true that he was inconvenienced for a time and I don't blame him for filing the lawsuits. But at the end of the day his name was cleared, he received the recognition he deserved, and was rewarded handsomely financially for his trouble. If the story ended there all would be fine. But Jewell spent the rest of his life trying to convince people he was a hero who had been done wrong. Seems to me the FBI profile of him wanting to be a hero was accurate. A hero is the guy who rushes into a burning building and pulls people out. They cop who stands in the road detouring traffic around the burning build is doing his job. Jewell did his job, but was no hero.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.