Originally Posted by sharpsguy
In a knife fight, you don't get cut if you know what you are doing. The idea is to cut the other guy and not get cut yourself. Seems obvious when you think about it.

I think I get what you're saying, Bill. I have your book and stuff by James Keating, Fred Perrin, classic Rex Applegate, etc...

My take re "self defense" vs "combat" is that the idea of knife fighting as a duel where you square away and have at it like in the movies is rather fantastic if not quixotic.

I've stood in more than one kali or krav maga session where with paint sticks being used to simulate edged weapons some very well trained guys ended up with way more ink on them than I'd care to endure as real cuts. So, personally part of "if you know what you are doing" would include the option of getting the hell out. I would fight if there was no other option, but damn sure wouldn't do that trading cuts bs 'til both guys look like zombies. My first teacher stressed only take a cut if you deliver a kill.

That's not even getting in to the legal issues that would inevitably ensue in many locales.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...