Curious as a cat about something. In the picture at the start of this thread most are wearing a wool red/black coat. There were some comments about that style/type of coat following. Raised and living in the Midwest, not to many hunters wear them, although you see someone wearing one once in a while. I've always admired them, especially growing up in the 60's viewing them in outdoor and hunting magazines and seeing vintage gun adverts of hunters wearing them. Quite a bit of the time the hunters were carrying Savage 99's and/or Remington 8/81's /Winchester 94's. A lot of the reason for my having two 99's and two 81's besides that fact they are good quality firearms.

Anyway my question is I've searched the web and see the red/black wool coats are available from several outlets; Woolrich, Filson, LL Bean, and Johnson Woolen. Just curious, which of these different brands are the best as far as quality, durability, and originality? Maybe they're all made in the same plant or several mills. I see also that there are several different patterns, some with more bold black horizonal and vertical stripes, some with smaller stripes in-between the larger ones. Some having a brighter red, others a more subdued red. Wonder what style of those are more original? I've also seen the wool coats that were green and black wool. Are these more popular in certain area's? I wouldn't mind having one of the red/black, but as some penned after moving to Midwest areas they put em away due to weed sticking problems. I can attest to that. Here in the Midwest where I live (Iowa) pounding the brush and timber is bad enough at times wearing non wool getting cockleburs, burdock, and stick tights on ya. Cockleburs are bad, but they are one big burr, not to bad to take off. Those daxxed burdock and stick tights are the scourge of nature. The burdock spears bury themselves in deep and those stick tights are like a miniature lobster with their two claws. If I'd get a wool coat it be probably worn non hunting or just hunt areas where I wouldn't get attacked. Just wondering! Like those coats!