Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It's all good. Burn it up.

An old friend used a 340 .30-30 for both deer and black bear (and killed a bunch of both) shooting a case full of old war surplus 4831 and the Lyman 311284 210 grain round nose cast bullet. He played the old trick of dipping the primed case into the powder, striking it level, and crunching the bullet down on top of it. (You couldn't get enough of that stuff in a .30-30 case to over pressurize- or an '06 case either for that matter.) Do not try that trick with modern 4831, I don't know for a fact that it still holds true.

i have a 03 that i re barreled in 1975 that has never had anything but that 311284 down it. i'd imagine close to 6k by now.

Originally Posted by damnesia
This is a good thread. Taught me a lot. There is more to casting bullets than I thought. Seems like it would take a very long time to get 100 bullets ready to go.

not so bad. cast up 500 one day. size and lube the next. throw out the tv and forget football and have plenty of time! grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~