I wanted to get a compact binocular for my daughter (9 yrs old). I was thinking Nikon Tavel Light or Pentax or Bushnells. She's used my better than decent Pentax 10x40 DCF WPs and my compact Minox glass many times to look at the moon, when we camp, looking at targets when she shoots .22s, out on the ranch looking at game and stuff, etc., so she knows what decent glass looks like. I mentioned this to my Mom, who said not to buy her anything b/c she & Dad had several in the closet. So I looked. They had two brand new, off brand, compact binoculars that sucked, an old 7x35 Tasco set that was horrendous and a set of Jason 7x35 Fast Focus binocs. that were ok. I looked further and in the back of the closet I found a set of old porro prism Bushnell 7x35 Insta Focus binocs., but no case and no strap or lens caps. They were fairly dirty, but they are actually fairly decent binocs. I cleaned them up and was a bit surprised just how decent they were. + they are a good size for her - not exactly compact, but definitely more compact than my Pentax 10x40 DCF WPs.

So here's the delima: I need to get her a case, a strap and probably some lens caps. Once I do that, I will likely approach or exceed the cost of a decent vintage pair of these which include all the accessories, which range from about $20.00 - $100.00 on flea bay (I could reasonable expect to spend ~ $30.00 or a bit less on these accessories + shipping and tax). Then again, they're my Dads, so maybe it's worth it for the sentimental value, but probably not... So should I purchase the accessories for the 7x35 Bushnells or should I just follow my original plan and get her a good used compact Nikon, Pentax or Bushnell?

Any other suggestion on a decent used binoc. for under $50.00?

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/21/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue