Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
My Grandfather John has this one regret I know of. When he passed, he was old grizzled rancher and farmer that worked hard all his life to care for his family.. I respected him immensely. I loved that old man. But as a youth he was apparently quite the ladies man. Very dapper. Born in "Ought 1" (1901) in the OK territory he had some interesting times, I'm sure. The thing he regretted was this.

Seems there was a dance. Being the guy all the girls wanted to be with, he got it in his head to ask a certain girl to the dance, her having a boyfriend my Grandfather did not like. So as to poke him in the eye. Well she said yes and went to the dance with my Grandfather instead of her boyfriend.

Back in those days (around 1918 or so) folks of course slept with their doors unlocked and windows open for cool night air. Well, this jilted boy was the jealous type. He walked up to her open window in the middle of the night and blasted her with a shotgun as she slept near the window. They hung the boy within the week.

He never told me this story. It came to me from my mom and others. I don't doubt it's true. A girl died and boy was hung. All cause my Grandfather asked her to a dance. Not exactly his fault at all, but he carried it as a heavy burden his entire life and to his grave.

Oh schidt!