Seems to me that what ever could be done to the nose of a 225 grain Partition could be done to the nose of the 250 and 210 version. I also wonder what could be done to the nose of a 220 grain Speer to increase expansion at the lower impact velocities one encounters when "stretching out" the .356 Win. on 200-250 yard lung shots on moose, caribou, elk and black bear. I heard the 250 grain version of the bonded bullet from Alaska Bullet Works expands on a moose chest shot at that range.

Hey mark338fed,

Care to chime in on your moose and bear shots with that bullet? I'm old now and with the moose hunting the way it is I may not have the opportunity to try out my .356 Winny very often. It sure does carry easy, even with the little Leupold 1.5-5x20 with the German #4 reticle. I just hate scoping the little slab sided rifle, but know I could see to get better hits on a moose if I did.

Once I settle on a load I need to go to the range and run it out to 250 yards in 25 yard increments with the XS receiver sight. If I can hold a 6" group that will be MOA for a lung shot on a moose. With the little Leupold scope I should be able to cut that group in half.

My dream, as I have stated before was a Winchester or Marlin tossing 220 grain .35 caliber FN at an honest 2,500 fps mv. The defunct .36 RPP from Ranger Point Precision was supposed to do that with a reworked Marlin 336 action and a 24" barrel using a modified .35 Whelen case. I think they must have run into a problem or would still be offering it. Tim Sundies of Buffalo Bore told me he would like to work up some modern loads for the .356 Winchester, but cannot due to a lack of available brass form a good supplier. Obviously Winchester is not that source, I'm hoping he could contract with Starline to produce his .356 brass. But, the reality is there are not many .356 users, so the bottom dollar rears it's ugly head.

The .348 Win. case can be all that and more with some modification. But, the Mod. 71 Win. is the only lever gun I am aware of that can be modified with that case. The guns are very spendy and heavier then a Mod. 94 Win. or a 336 Marlin.

The great .416 Rigby has a solid reputation on big dangerous game in Africa, old India and elsewhere. It is better then ever now with some of the excellent soft nose bullets out there. The 400 grain Trophy Bonded, Woodleigh and Swift A Frame move along at about 2,350 fps mv and critters ain't complaining about it being to slow! So maybe I can learn to be content with my Winchester Big Bore 94 and a 220 grain Kodiak Super Bonded bullet at 2,350 fps mv. Sure rolls off the tongue easy when I say it. LOL