I have a 2019 Chevy Duramax 2500HD. BS about payload. It's pay load is about same as the sister gasser. BS about fuel savings.Those big gassers require premium fuel. Around here diesel is $2.76, Premium gas is over $3.00. You can get buy with a 3:55 or 3:73 rear end with the diesel, but the big gassers have to have a 4:10 or so to achieve their to pulling power and that gobbles more gas per mile.
Indeed a 1/2 T will pull a 6K trailer without any problems as long as the trailer has adequate brakes, not pulling 10,00 ft passes, or frequent travel is above 5000 feet elevation.

I only have about 5800 miles on my truck, but figured the hunting trips I took in the last year and I am running about 30% towing. Most of that is with the slide in camper, gear, 3 horse slant trailer, 2 mules, hay, feed, water and tack, Going down the road I am at about 16,500pounds. I get 18-21 mpg empty running about 68,12 mpg fully loaded.It pulls these Colorado high mountain passes with ease. Hauling gravel with a 14ft dump trailer,scales read 19,300 pounds. Truck, trailer and gravel.

Previous I had a 98 Dodge fro20 years with the Cummins and it is about the same, a little better mileage fully loaded but it had the 3::55 in it.

Buying a truck is a little like building a shop or barn.You always do it bigger than what you think you need. I haven't had 1/2 T truck since my 58 Ford with the old flat head engine and 4 sp.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles