I haven't had 1/2 T truck since my 58 Ford with the old flat head engine and 4 sp.

Um, there was never a '58 Ford pickup with a flathead engine in it, that I can recall? Either had a puny OHV straight six, or the 272 V8, unless I am mistaken here. One of my farmer uncles had a '56 and I know that had an OHV V8 in it. Can remember him hauling 100lb sacks of cow feed on that poor old thing, when the rear bumper barely cleared the road. Was only about an eight mile trip from the Agway in town (GLF in the early days) to his farm, but that Ford never let him down.

Around these parts, diesel is going for about $3.39 to $3.49 a gallon. 87 octane gas, maybe $2.69 to $2.75 currently. 89 octane and up, close and over $3. I'm old enough to remember when diesel was way cheaper than regular gas.

I've pulled 8K lb loads with two different GM 1500 4x4 pickups with 3:42 gears. One a four speed auto, the current one a six speed auto, all with 5.3L V8s, trailering package and tow haul mode. No sweat at all. Difference is, don't do it all that often now.

Diesel pickups have declined in popularity around here, as I see far fewer of them than just a few years ago. Most on the roads are older ones driven by youngsters that still think it makes them cool. See a kid every day in a RAM crew dually. Have yet to see him pull anything, or have a damn thing in the bed, but he flogs hell outta that thing every day.

But, whatever trips one's trigger, eh?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.