Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
That’s because this isn’t the deer hunting section and most people asking for RDS advice for an AR aren’t asking for deer hunting advice.

I'm not asking about deer hunting with an AR.

After spending the better part of 7 years with an M16A1 waiting for me in the arms rooms, about the last thing that I want to do is to carry around any sort of military style semi-automatic rifle. I was actually in the Army and don't feel a need to pretend being tactical.

The original question was posed because I gave my kids ARs for Christmas and they don't care to shoot with open sights on any rifle and don't want a scope on the ARs, so I was looking for advise on a quick on target sight that had about 1x magnification. They have shot my DPMS Sportical that has a Leupold 2-7x33 on it and that is clearly not what they want. When we were at Cabela's they saw a little Vortex VMD-3103 that interests them, but I didn't want to spend around $500 for 2 of them if there are better options out there. These are rifles that are going to used at the range and maybe every few years to shoot called predators. Neither of them are interested in hunting and only casually interested in shooting sports in general.