I made my first knife more than 40 yrs. ago in a knifemaking class I took while in gunsmithing school at Trinidad State Junior College. The class was taught by a professional knifemaker, made that first blade from a piece of 01 tool steel using only a file for the complete job. Hardened it using an oxyacetylene torch, the scales were paper micarta purchased from a knifemaker supply. Sheath was made from a bundle of leather scrap purchased from a farm supply store, stitched it with artificial sinew. That was the only blade I made from bar stock, simply too much work. I buy my blades from knifemaker supply houses and modify them to suit. For wood handles my favorite is desert ironwood, ivorylike handles are paper micarta and jigged cattle and camel bone are my other choices. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to guards, pins and lanyard tubes, nickel silver is my material of choice. I study knifmaking/collecting magazines to get ideas for my designs, lots of practice over the years has allowed me to make some darn good looking knives. Most of my knives are labors of love given to family, friends and co-workers, not having a recognized name I can't charge near enough to cover my costs let alone make much of a profit. That's fine with me, the satisfaction comes from creating something useful with my own mind and hands.