It is really neat to see the outpouring of support for our troops. I got to "play" in the sand last time and I think the stuff you all are sending is super. The support made a difference when we were there, far more than the actual items . I remember the way we GIs were treated in US airports while in uniform during Vietmnam and the support, for the last Gulf war, and now, means a lot to our troops, because I was one of them.
I know, for me, that the 'Jolly Rancher' brand of hard candies killed thirst better than anything else I ever found. I had to give up starlight mints, my favorites, for the duration as they made me too thirsty. The baby wipes should also be in the travel packets for ease of carry. And, if possible, the sunglasses should be polarized. The polarization made a HUGE difference. I felt like a fraud for the war last time since I was in my electronics lab which was temperature and humidity controlled, (for the equipment, not us), and all the others were sweating their behinds off. It will get HOT for them if this 'party lasts very long. In Sept '90 I saw it hit 136 F. where I was working, in Saudi Arabia; it wasn't in the shade but then, the nearest shade was about 40 klicks away. It was rather interesting to see our t-shirts turn white. It was so dry that our sweat dried before getting us wet and left salt patches on our t-shirts. I used sunscreen that was SPF 25 and still got sunburned. Good thing there is SPF 45 now. Of course, all that was before I had my laboratory up and running. The Persian Gulf (SWA, South West Asia) area was the only place I wore my field jacket with a liner while it was in the 70s . At night when it was in the 70s, it was a 60 degree drop from the day. It is my sincere prayer that there isn't another 'Gulf war Syndrom' for these folks. For those that suffered, it meant that the war was still being fought, just a different arena. As an older retired AF guy I thank them, and you, and encourage you to keep up the good work. I hadn't intended to write a book here and probably won't ever bring all this up again. I hope these suggestions are taken as just that, suggestions. I repeat that it isn't the actual items you are sending, it is the support and concern you show that makes such a difference. Remember that if you don't get any acknowledgement from everyone to whom you send things. It still counts.

batch

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]