Who ever designed that cartridge has my respect and I think in some ways it was ahead of the times. How good was the Mod. 99 in .300 Savage? I still have the one my Dad brought when we moved to Alaska in 1965. Still have the old Weaver with the Post reticle. Dad and his life time friend Ken who moved to Cantwell in the 50's used that set up for years and even though Dad moved to his beloved old Mod. 70 .264 Winny he always had a soft spot for the .300 Savage he used on mule deer and antelope on his "out West" hunts.

Any way, his friend Ken used his old peep sighted .300 to drop 5 caribou in very short order when he caught them on a little frozen pond during a winter hunt. The limit back in "the day" was either 4 or 5 on the Nelchina herd. They gutted them hopped on the snow go's and towed them to the pickups and loaded up. Hung them from the engine hoist beam in my Dad's big shop up in the Slana River Valley about 40 miles from Tok and skinned them when they thawed. Ken used that old peep sighted .300 on many a caribou and moose, with no complaints. Dang, I miss those days and wish I could turn back the clock.

The old rifle is a safe queen now and my wife said to hang it up some where in the living room. I love that gal.