A few years ago now (probably 15 years) I loaded the 100gn Ballistic Tip in my first Roberts and shot about 10 pigs with them. They worked fine putting the pigs down as well as other cup and core 100gn .25 cal bullets. I then thought I'd try them in my 20 inch barrelled .250 Savage and loaded them to 2780 fps. They were not as good killers of pigs at that lower velocity, as the pigs would typically run off, some up to almost 100 metres. I once shot two pigs with the one bullet as the bullets were pencilling straight through. Exit holes were quite small compared to the exit holes when loaded in the Roberts at 3100 fps. I guess the lower velocity in the .250 didn't allow the bullets to open up as much, despite the plastic tip.

This was my first revelation that Ballistic Tips were not as frangible as some people were claiming. Perhaps the first ones were but the ones I bought definitely were not. Though I shot them about 15 years ago I bought them a couple of years before that, so Nosler had started beefing them up quite a while ago. A mate shoots them in his .25-06 and one exited the chest on a side on shot of a red deer hind.

I still have about four boxes of those bullets as I bought ten boxes initially and despite having two .257 Robs, a .257 AI and a .25-06 I haven't gotten round to loading them up as there are always other bullets to try. I wonder if the newly manufactured bullets are as tough as mine purchased almost 20 years ago? Or has Nosler beefed them up even more in the years since? Three years ago I loaded the 115gn Ballistic Tip in one of my Roberts at about 2800 fps and they were very good killers on pigs. Even going away shots would see the bullet penetrating forwards enough to reach the vitals and kill the pig which doesn't always happen with 100gn bullets.