Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Hastings
I found a good deal on an unsold new 2019 GMC pickup at a GM dealer the other day. When I told them I would send someone to get it they told me I had to come in for the credit application. When I then told them I would send a check they told me that this price was only for a sale financed through one of their dealer approved finance options.

When my wife and I were looking for her a new vehicle a couple of years ago, we were pretty certain we'd get another Explorer, but she wanted to check out the Toyotas. We had a Black girl as the salesman, and she would never give us a price, only what it would be for a monthly payment. I finally got up and said......"we aren't going to finance this vehicle, we are going to write you a check for it, and all we wanted was your best price, but since you won't tell us that, we are going to buy a Ford," and we left, and did go buy another Explorer.

The girl called us back a few days later and wanted to know if we were sill interested in a Toyota...........and it was a good thing my wife talked to her, because I was ready to unload on her dealership, which I'd found out was really pushing buyers to finance instead of buying straight out, because they were getting a kickback on the ones that were financed.

It's all pretty much a racket anyway, as the vast majority of cars are financed anyway. I was young and poor once, and had to buy them that way, and I'm not belittling those who do, but to be honest about it, you should get a better deal if you buy it without it being financed. However, I'm not sure you do anymore, with all the deals they offer to finance one. Of course, they're betting that a person will get behind on payments and be charged a bunch of interest.

my drama was with a toyota dealership too. went else where. when I bought my 04 trundra new I ordered it, did research on what a car dealer ship really would have paid for it. went to my local toyota dealership and said this is what I want, this is what you will pay for it, and I'll give you $500 more than what you will pay for it, was told to get lost they can't do that, went to another toyota dealership 5p miles away and did the same speech, guy told me yes he will do that and he wished more customers were like this. he didnt have any money invested in it and made a fast $500