I've made a convert or two to the mighty 284. One I can think of a friend and I were out quad riding one day with his son and my wife. We stopped to eat lunch and do some shooting as is our custom. When I emptied my soda I jumped on the quad and ran the empty can down the canyon a ways and set it up on a logging landing.When I came back I could make out a shiny spot in the sun, but not much else. It was 426 yards using a rangefinder. My buddy was carrying his dads old 7 mag and he wanted to take a shot at it. His shot was a foot low and left. He didn't want any more of that so I sat down on the ground, leaning up against the four wheeler tire, and used the shooting sticks to steady the .284.

I held for 17" of elevation and let er rip. At the shot the can went straight up in the air, about 35'! It was like slow motion when it reached the top it seemed to hang there, then drifted back to the ground, landing a few yards away from where it started. We all sat there in silence for a minute, then I slowly got up and slipped the rifle into the scabbard. I tried to look cool like, "Oh yeah, happens all the time" but we all had a good laugh.

What a show the old .284 put on that day, but it does have a habit of doing that. It's a fantastic cartridge and that Speer bullet really makes it a hammer. Mines killed a few deer and bear and each time it's like the hand of God. I can't say enough about the 99 in a 284. I think I have 5 of them now!

LOL