I don’t like the new square toe boots,

It took me a long time. The turning point for me was when someone pointed out that square toes weren't so new. In fact most boots worn by real working cowboys and the cavalry back in the 1800's had square toes. The more pointed toes became a thing as a fashion statement starting in the 1960's according to the research I've done. Going back and looking at photos of the older Western movies and working cowboys from the 1800's shows almost all wore square toe boots.

After figuring that out I've decided to accept them. And the Ariat's I have with square toes are more comfortable to me than the more modern round toes.

The difference between riding boots and ropers is in the heel and shaft height. Doesn't matter if they are lace up or pull on. Most riding boots have a taller shaft to protect the legs and a tall heel to keep the boots from sliding too far into the stirrup. Ropers were a specially designed boot for rodeo calf roping events. Since they must dismount and run a lighter boot with a shorter shaft is better. A lower heel isn't as good in the saddle, but easier to run in to tie off the calf. People have found that if they are on their feet for long periods of time instead of in the saddle ropers are more comfortable.

Check out the square toe boots from this classic western movie.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14465963#Post14465963

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.