Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by shaman
I just thought I'd mention this here in hopes of starting a discussion of primers and their differences and their effect on your loads.

For the most part I avoid CCI primers. In my early years reloading I was getting 1-2 misfires per 1000 rounds with CCI. My only current load for CCI primers is for a gun I sold. It used the 350 to light 22.5 grains of Win 296 under a 300 grain LBT WLN GC bullet. I developed that load during one of the primer shortages when Fed 155s were not available. Most of my current .44 ammo uses the WLP, 24 grains of Win 296, and home cast 250 grain SWCs. For everything else today I use Federal 155s. I use the Fed 150 where a standard primer is called for like with 2400.

I haven't had real good luck with Remington primers .. with one exception. I picked up a carton each of large rifle and large rifle magnums. I'm getting misfires with them. My one exception is the Remington 7-1/2 which I am using in my .204. For a long time I used Federal 205s, std and match, and Winchester small rifle, but my current 700s bolt face has a sloppy firing pin hole and those primers will pierce even with light loads. The 7-1/2 cup is thick enough to span the gap .. zero problems and half MOA accuracy. I blew up 2-3 Jewell HVR triggers and a couple tuned Remington/Walker triggers figuring it out. Not planning any further experimentation.

For large rifle and magnum I shoot Federal, preferably match. Cost .. an extra $5/1000 primers does not matter to me. Range time is more precious than $$ saved anymore.

I also shoot Federal in my AR .. the 205 AR match works very very well.

Tom

Tom, I have never had a single misfire with a Remington or CCI primer both non magnum and magnum. I often see the statement I've had problems "In my early years" That statement " In my early years" lends more to the reloading technique of a beginner being the culprit than the actual primer.

A wise man once told me when you are experiencing difficulty if you blame something else as a starter it becomes very difficult to fix whatever it is you may be doing wrong. I'm not insinuating that you didn't have a primer problem I'm just saying if it was early on in your experience it may not have been an actual primer problem

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field