Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by longarm
GW
Damn, dude!

Ya man, gw has some nice shiit.... that ram handled Howe buffalo skinner is slick, best skinner I’ve ever seen

Once again time, among other behaviors have taken a toll on my memory. IIRC, this Tanto is the first "Howe Mountain Knives" (Dale Howe), I got from VinceM, who I have labeled "The KnifeFather", as he made me so many offers I could not refuse.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm a knife slut, but over the years my taste has evolved to a degree as to what I collect. I was at the height of collecting "semi-skinners" at this point. I had found that I could contact a maker, tell him about a knife I had in mind, maybe send a drawing or a picture, inquire if he worked with certain steels and what handle material he thought would be appropriate with that style of blade, and whether he would be interested in fashioning such a creation. Dale has always been been very accommodating in that regard. Ram's horn is one of my favorites as the texture allows for a good grip when its 100 degrees out and the tallow or fat that starts melting when skinning hogs in that heat. Here is the gist of something I posted on another forum.........

A while back I had the opportunity to talk to Dale Howe about some of the blade styles and scale materials that I like.

I've long been a fan of the Green River Buffalo Skinner, and I also like carbon steel.

I had recently acquired a knife from Rick Menefee that had rams horn scales. I like the texture and durability of rams horn.

I asked Dale if he had ever worked with 3V, and if he would consider something along the lines of a buffalo skinner inspired blade shape out of 3v with rams horn scales.

Well lo and behold when I got back from the lease, this little beauty was waiting at the P.O. Box

The ambidexterous cross draw is my favorite for carry

The red liners and the way Dale grinds and polishes give a translucence to the scales that is finer than frog's hair.

BTW,

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

it works like a charm!

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.